Friday, August 25, 2006

Mac Freak: Distributed Audio

Oh dear. I really need to get out more :) What exactly is it about these bits of kit that make me happy? I suppose one of the reasons is that I can link them together so I can have even more SoftSynth madness going on. Something those programming wizards at  call Distributed Audio. A simple ethernet cable and hey presto, how many Space Designer Reverbs would you like? Just link your Macs together and let the lazy machine in the corner do some work. Let me tell you - I love this technology.

There comes a point when making music using softsynths, that the CPU (no matter how powerful) says "STOP!" It varies from system to system, but generally the faster the CPU, the more memory you have available (bigger is better) etc etc the more plug-ins, softsynths and virtual devices you can have. Now, as in all things teamwork is the way forward! Link your Macs, sit back, watch in amazement as they share the load. I've been using the Jinster's Mac Mini as a Logic Node but today ordered my new iMac especially for the job. Well one of the jobs I have in mind for it anyway. Who knows, if the album does well I may treat myself to a Mac Pro to act as a Super Node :)

For those that are interested here's how it works:

"A distributed audio network requires at least two Apple computers running Mac OS X version 10.3 or later, with one acting as a master system (1GHz G4 or faster recommended) and additional computers serving as “nodes” (G5 recommended). Logic node software uses each networked computer as an additional processor for your Logic Pro 7 system. You may install Logic Node on an unlimited number of Macs. Gigabit Ethernet provides the best performance. If you use more than one node, the switch that manages them must be Gigabit to avoid data transfer bottlenecks."

Ahhhh. Tasty.

No comments: